I was concocting a little dinner just now - rice with butter and soy sauce - and was taken right back. There are just some flavors that carry tremendous amounts of nostalgia. I would like to share a few of my nostalgic flavors with you.
1. rice with butter and soy sauce (it struck me for the first time tonight that this may not be a normal dinner option. . . created by budget savvy parents???)
2. pinole - this is a crushed popcorn beverage that the Tarahumara drink. we drank ours in milk with sugar. a very common snack in the Taylor household.
3. chile and sugar. in any form. trust me, there are many forms
4. cornbread in milk with syrup for breakfast
5. popcorn and hot chocolate (must be eaten with a Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movie)
6. Dad's famous "hot rice cereal" with or without the bloated raisins - I just read that and it sounds disgusting, it really isn't
7. plain yoghurt with jello powder sprinkled on top
8. coke from a bottle.
what are your favorite childhood flavors?